Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Best Ever Italian Vinaigrette!

Everyone needs a basic kick-ass  salad dressing around.  This is my best ever Italian vinaigrette that my whole family swoons over!

There is no excuse not to make it.  Trust me, you'll think twice about ever buying commercial salad dressing again!  So you have to spend 10 minutes measuring everything. Big ferkhakta deal!  Think of the time you would take to go to the grocery store, look for a dressing, stand in line to pay for it and then the time it would take you to come home. Best yet, you made this yourself and you can pronounce everything you put in it!

I gave bottles of this out at Christmas one year and it was a huge hit.  I bought pretty bottles at the Dollar Store, sterilized them, poured in my dressing, corked them and then dipped the cork ends in sealing wax.  Pretty special! 

Great storage hint:

If you are a scotch drinker, an empty bottle of Balvenie is a perfect for the dressing.  And it has a cork which is cool for airtight storage!
You can use a jar or whatever bottle you have on hand like I did.

 



You will need:


2/3 C canola oil (or vegetable oil if you wish)
2/3 C olive oil
1/4 C red wine vinegar
1/4 C regular vinegar
4 T grated parmesan
1 T sugar
2 t salt
1 t celery seeds
1 t garlic granules (NOT garlic salt or powder)
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t dry mustard
1/4 t paprika

Note:
If you want to use all olive or vegetable oil or  whatever oil you wish, go ahead!  Make it your own.
Same with the vinegar.  Use all plain or all red or white wine vinegar. (Don't use malt, though - there's no fish in this dressing!)





It's as easy as this!
Place a funnel in your bottle.
I used an empty oil bottle cause I had nothing better around.
Drop all your dry ingredients in first.

Otherwise, if you put in wet stuff first,
all your dry stuff will stick to the funnel sides

With cap tightly on (a reminder to avoid a kitchen disaster!),
shake the heck out of it until it's all blended.
Look at the lovely floating bits of cheese and spices!

And here it is...
A simple crisp green salad with your very own
homemade dressing!
Make it and tell me if you can taste the difference!







8 comments:

  1. I look forward to your recipes and your humour everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I will keep them coming, my dear!

      Delete
    2. garlic granules, can that be minced fresh garlic, and are the amounts the same?

      Delete
    3. Yes, you can use fresh garlic. 1 fat clove or 2 regular ones, minced, should do it!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome Brigitte! I finally logged in your blog site. I will definitely try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled you could do it! If you have any suggestions, let me know!

      Delete
  3. Hey BT

    Love this. Is cap T for tablespoon and lowercase t for teaspoon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly right! Big T for the bigger measure and little t for the smaller one! It's a cook's shortcut lingo :-)

      Delete