Saturday, July 6, 2013

How to make perfect bacon

Making perfect bacon is an art.  And it's essential to know how to do it.  In my opinion, crisp bacon that lays flat is the best bacon experience. 
 
I don't ascribe to the pan frying method.  It's almost like literally trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.  You can't fry it evenly and you end up with curvy half cooked, half crisp bacon more often than not.
 
Cooking it this way also allows for better timing so you can get your coffee, eggs and toast ready by the time the swine ambrosia is ready. 
 
Here's my step-by-step how to method for the ultimate bacon bliss!
 
Preheat oven to 350F.
 

Cover a large cookie sheet that fits
the length of your bacon, with foil.
Note how there is a lip on all sides
to keep the grease from rolling under.
Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Trust me, the spray will make it easier
to remove even with all the grease.
Lay the slices side by side .
Note how I alternate the narrow side and wide side
of each slice for a roomier fit.
I am using regular sliced bacon, not the thick variety.
Place on middle rack of the oven for 25 minutes.
Rotate pan half through cooking cycle.
 
I let my bacon rest for about a minute on my oven door.
The door has an incline, perfect for draining.
See the grease at the top of the picture?
That's it draining down. 
Remove to a paper towel to complete the draining process.
Fold up your grease filled foil.
Check out how clean your cookie sheet is.
No messy clean up!
 
Look at that!
PERFECT bacon...
Every time!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment