Thursday, December 12, 2013

Super Easy Lentil Soup for the Brain Dead

I know.  I’ve been MIA.  Life gets the better of you at certain times as I'm sure you know.  After all, it is the holiday season.  There have been many late nights, parties, eating out and general life events that have prevented me from being one with my kitchen.

Now having said all this, I can’t guarantee that I’m back on track.  The very much blog absent Cameraman Dave and I are leaving for a cruise on December 23rd (yes, you may go ahead and hate us.), so my kitchen absence will recur.  Perhaps some shots of the fabulous meals we'll be indulging in may make you forgive me?  Did I hear you say, "Not a chance?"  :-(

Ah-hem... I re-direct...

So last night I said to Dave that I really needed to eat a healthy home cooked meal.  You know how it is when you get that feeling that you’ve had enough take-out, party or instant food?  But I was also exhausted that I definitely needed to make something Brain Dead worthy.  A main dish soup always fits the bill.  And with the bitter cold weather, it was exactly what would hit the spot in all ways.

This was a pantry-fridge essentials kind of recipe.  I wanted minimal preparation.  Opening cans and throwing stuff in a pot was about as much culinary exercise as I could manage.  I kept chopping to a minimum.  You can even eliminate this step if you choose to make this soup vegetarian.  I used some lean kolbassa in mine but ham would work just as well.

So go ahead.  Be kitchen lazy but well fed.  Your brain deserves a rest!  I know mine did!

Here’s what you’ll need:
                      261 gms lean kolbassa (about 2 C when chopped)
                      1 can lentils (540 ml/19 oz)
                      1 can diced tomatoes (796 ml/28 oz)
                      1 C frozen carrot pea mix
                      1/4 C long grain white rice
                      1 chicken bouillon cube (the kind that reconstitutes 
                              in 2 C water but don't add the  2 C of water - you'll be using the                                            amount below only)
                      4 C water
                      2 T olive oil
                      1 T dried parsley
                      1 t dried oregano
                      1/2 t granulated garlic 
Drain and rinse lentils. 
Put everything in a pot except the meat.
Don't drain the tomatoes - just dump the can in.
Chop up the kolbassa into bite sized pieces...
...whatever that means for you!
 
Throw that in.  Mix everything through.
Bring to a boil.  Cover with a tight fitting lid.
Reduce to low and simmer for 20 minutes for rice to cook.
Twenty minutes later...
Check for salt and do add some freshly ground pepper.
Ready to serve with a nice baguette!
Hearty, filling and healthy.
Oh!  And did I say EASY?
What more could you want?
Except a second helping perhaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment